Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Friday, September 7 -- The Antietam National Battlefield

This morning's program included a drive through the nearby Antietam Battlefield, with stops at several of the landmarks.  Our guide was the Shepherd's Spring Administrator who provided us with a lively account of the very bloody day in American history.  We also walked for about 2 miles on the trail next to Antietam Creek, ending by the historic Burnside Bridge.  It was a good introduction to the site, but if one takes part in this program, it would be good to give oneself an extra day for a more complete exploration.

The program concluded with an excellent lunch of a variety of homemade pizzas.  We were able to then shower and check out after lunch.  We appreciated the late check-out so that we could be refreshed before starting our trip home.




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this series on your RS hiking trip. Now that I know what to expect, I've added this to my "trips to take" list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie, Thank you so much for your blog. I and 3 other friends are signed up for the end of May 2013. I am a little concerned about the straight up and down. I live in Ohio near the CVNP (Cuyahoga Valley National Park) and we do lots of hiking there, but there are switch backs and and not near as much vertical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great information. I'm doing the program in June 2014. I'm looking forward to it, but I hope there's no rain!

    ReplyDelete